Thursday, August 24, 2006

When it rains

Well, as you saw in my piggy post (Nursery rhyme impossible), there is a lot of animosity between our groups at work and things kind of came to a head today. During our meeting, my close friend of 10 years (who is also my boss) was asking a question and was interrupted to clarify. My friend continued with the question (which would have clarified the original question) and was interrupted by his boss. My friend asked, “Please let me finish…” to which his boss replied, “No, I need to clarify.”

My friend then excused himself from the teleconference and hung up.

He called me after our teleconference and stated how pissed he was and I proceeded to tell him that I thought he acted like a boob and if he intended to win any battles against the other group this wasn’t the way to go about it. I informed him that now, instead of the piggy in the straw house looking like spastic unprofessional pig that he is, whenever my friend goes to challenge his position, my friend’s opinion will be discounted for throwing his temper tantrum (oh, there goes the pig in the stone house again).

In his defense, I understand where he’s coming from and can sympathize with his situation. This has been going on for 6 months with no relief in sight, and we have proven multiple times that the pig in the straw house does not know how to complete the project; we cannot seem to make any headway in doing the right thing.

After I told my friend my thoughts on the situation, he told me he would call me back later and hung up. I know what I said upset him, but I couldn’t lie could I?

Sometimes, you just gotta let some stuff go.

2 Comments:

Blogger justacoolcat said...

Being professional is a one way street. It's nice when it's a two way street, but usually everything is stacked against a person. I agree with what you told your friend 100 percent. There's very little room to allow emotions into play in business and it's going to be hard(see nect to impossible) for him to regain the lost ground.

11:10 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

It's the old adage that 1 Opps cancels out 1000 ata boys. Just like you said, it's hard to recover that lost ground of professional respect.

I've talked to him again and he knows he made a mistake, but hindsight is 20/20.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home