Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

My only regret is that I bought an electric ice cream maker instead of the type we had when I was a kid. There’s something sweeter about ice cream when the indentured servitude of childhood forces you to add sweat equity into the creamy brew by cranking a handle until your arms were rubbery lengths of play dough better suited to your malleable action figure...it builds character.

Regardless, my son and I enjoy making ice cream and since fall is creeping up on us in the typical fashion, I decided to make Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream. This is my recipe, so if you don’t like it…blame me, or not…it’s your fault you listened to my direction.

Zombie Ice Cream Pumpkin Pie

The main ingredient in this pumpkin pie is pumpkin ice cream.

  • 1 3/4 cups canned or cooked mashed pumpkin *I prefer mashed pumpkin but it takes longer

  • 1 cup brown sugar

  • 1 cup milk

  • 2 cups heavy cream

  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 baked pie crust, 9-inch

Mix ingredients cool and poor into ice cream maker. Once mixture is frozen, spoon into pie crust and smooth. Top with whipped cream.

An alternate ending to this ice cream fiasco is to crumble up the pie crust and half-way through the freezing process, open the lid and toss the pie pieces directly into the ice cream.

Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger chelene said...

I would really like to do homemade stuff like this someday. I bet it tastes great!

8:58 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

It's actually really good. It's become a tradition that towards the end of summer we make this ice cream.

I'll post my recipe for rhubarb ice cream later. It's really good too.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home