Wednesday, August 23, 2006

And the world goes on

We see the world through our children’s eyes and see the freshness of it all, the surprises around every corner and the endless possibilities. My son declared that he wants to be a dentist, and I’m sure before he’s 10 it will change as frequently as a politician’s campaign promises on Election Day; that’s the benefit of youth.

When does that freshness wear off, when do our goals change from saving the world to getting a cup of coffee before a morning shower? I don’t remember a single glaring point in time that my dreams were reduced to wishing someone else would mow the grass, it just happened.

At 17, I was content to climb into my piece of crap car (by then it was almost 20 years old) and head anywhere that the country road led me, now I have a destination in mind with a 12 page checklist of items that I may need along the way; A/C working, oil changed and cell phone in the center console to call AAA in case I break down. Check the weather and wonder if I should have gotten GPS, but it’s ok.

I have directions from MapQuest.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

How true. The priorities shift and the dreams become more "realistic" plans. But there's always got to be a little of that fire burning, no matter how old, that says just get out there and do it (anything that we think we're getting "too old" for). That's what keeps us young.

1:29 AM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Part of me still thinks I can change the world, that is why I have gotten into the profession of social advocacy. I must admit, however, that my sense of social responsibility is left on the backburner at times and I am content with having someone else to the lawn or dishes.

As for my sense of adventure I did not have the piece of crap car at 17 but wandered through several provinces of Canada with few belongings just because I could. Now, I too make sure I have all of the necessities probably primarily because I have children in tow on my journeys now. I believe I still have my sense of adventure but that it comes out in different ways now.

3:11 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

Hey Deb, thanks for visiting and you're absolutely correct. We (or at least I) seem to forget that sometimes in the day to day rate race.

I go through cycles Slaygirl, seem to get caught up in the day to day activities and lose sight of the end goal. I wish I still had that sense of adventure, but it seems as we grow older the necessity of planning takes precidence over the spontaneousness of youth. Once it's gone, I think it's gone.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home