Saturday, August 19, 2006

Passing of thyme

Fall is just around the corner, and pardon me if I’m just a bit giddy about it. Fall has for the longest time been my favorite season, not that spring, summer and winter don’t offer their own enticements, but fall has a certain allure that I look forward to.

I don’t intend to advance the already hurried clip of time, but the crisp bite to the air, the smell of pumpkin pie and cinnamon baked apples, and hikes along trails with the constant crunch of fallen leaves underfoot are pleasures that don’t come often enough and pass by too swiftly in my judgment.

Growing up in Colorado, fall was often cut short by falling snows hailing hard winters which would last, many times, into summer. I often joke with people that Colorado has two seasons; summer and winter, and it wasn’t until I moved out east that I understood the transitions between heat and cold and the subtleties that celebrate the changing of the seasons.

This year, as always, I’ll take the family to the pumpkin patch to pick their own pumpkins (last year we brought back way too many pumpkins), we’ll take long hikes, and we’ll carve jack o’lanterns, watch Legend of Sleepy Hollow on TV and head to the Creepy Hollow Haunted Hayride in Richmond. We’ll sit on the swing in the yard bundled up in sweaters while a fire crackles in the outdoor fireplace, telling ghost stories and watching the season pass into winter.

These are the things playing in mind while the echo of a lawnmower outside informs that I’m a bit premature, and I just might have time to get one last BBQ in before it’s too late.

Go Denver Broncos!

7 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I wish I could say I feel the same about the coming fall season. I'm starting to dread the short days and the skeletal grayness of winter. Of course, I'm in Denver. You know what that's like.

9:25 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks for stoppin by James.

Don't forget the continual slush and mounds of snow that don't melt until May. I know exactly what you're talking about, I grew up in Golden CO and winter could be an 8-month long trip down depression lane. Nah, I didn't look forward to fall in CO either.

10:13 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh man! Fall is my favorite time of year too, although in Vancouver it is so mild year round. Back home, near the mountains, September and October are absolutely brilliant! Bright blue skys, but crisp cold air. I love the mornings when the frost is over everything, but by noon it's warm enough to take off your jacket. Dried leaves are another smell I love. Sort of a spicy smell, and the sound they make. I love to jump into a big pile of dry leaves and KICK them all over the place. What a jerky thing to do eh? *WEG* Awesome post Zombie!

11:50 PM  
Blogger chelene said...

I was just telling a friend at work that fall is my favorite season. You were much more poetic than I was though, I think my reason had something to do with wearing high-heeled boots and turtlenecks. :)

1:56 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

My son does the same thing, after I finish raking leaves, he take a running leap into the pile to finish them off. I usually hand him the rake and let him go at it.

LOL Chelene...that works too, no need to be poetic if you get the point across :)

3:11 PM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

I love fall. It helps that it's so cool and colorful and probably our longest season here in Southern Mn.

4:17 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

That's awesome, I wish it was our longest season, but it seems like summer is...which isn't all that bad except that it's usually hovering around 90 degrees and 80-90% humidity.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home