Thursday, August 24, 2006

But are there chearleaders...

There really is no motivation for me to go to college. Reasonably successful in my career, I’ve never found the lack of a degree hindering my progress towards my professional goals and it doesn’t appear this will change anytime soon.

Unlike many of my classmates out of high school, I chose to join the military during Desert Storm, thus relinquishing my right to party with scantily clad coeds, giving up beer bongs and wet t-shirts for rifles and mortar fire, and I never really regretted my decision, except where wet t-shirts and scantily clad females were concerned.

Tying up loose ends at work this afternoon, I received a call from the student counselor at the University of Phoenix. She was contacting all students who had attended the University, but had not completed their degree and was curious as to my reasons for leaving the program. I informed her that I had been deceived when I began matriculating and was originally advised that it would take approximately a year to finish my bachelor’s degree. That “approximately” subsequently changed to two years after I had completed several classes.

“Two years isn’t bad, you actually only have 51 credit hours left until you receive a degree.” She said.

I proceeded to explain my predicament. I was planning to join the military as an officer, a bachelors degree is required of all officers and the cut off age for becoming a commissioned officer is 34…I’m 33. That was the original reason I went with your college, I would have been able to apply for the military as an officer if the original agreement had been upheld. “Oh.” She replied.

After further discussions related to my graduation I began to wonder, perhaps I should finish the degree as a matter of course for my own edification. With regular coursework, some waived courses and CLEP test I would be able to complete my degree in just over a year.

Now I’m faced with the conundrum, do I go ahead and finish the degree despite the fact it will not achieve my intended goal or do I forget about it and move on. Copious amount of time will be used to complete the degree…time taken away from family (and don’t forget money) and I wonder if the benefits will be worth it.

The last time I attended was last December; if I had stuck with it then…I’d be graduating this upcoming February.

2 Comments:

Blogger SlayGirl said...

You are right Zombie, that is a big commitment. I would not presume to offer you advise about it because such a decision is very individual. I believe it really comes down to the benefit either choice would have for you and your family. That probably did not help much but I am glad you shared.

1:22 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks Slaygirl, you point out the very decisions that I'm trying to make. Not sure if I'll make one at all (thus defaulting to saying screw it :) )

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home