Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Common oxymoron

There’s no other way to say it, no beating around the bush wasting time on eloquent prose or excuses; my parents screwed up. There, I said it…no apologies, no regrets. Not in a traditional multifaceted culture of abnormal norms sort of fashion, but in a very unconventional manner. Not a day goes by that I don’t curse them for their oversight in raising such an abomination to society such as myself.

Heaven forgive them for instilling…I shudder to even mention it…uncommon courtesy, and now I’m a twisted wreck of a man beyond common recognition.

I’m ashamed to mention that I voice my appreciation with a “Thank you” when someone takes the time to hold open a door for me. I hang my head every time I wave to a person that slows down to let me enter their lane on the freeway. My conscience weeps every time hold an elevator instead of repeatedly mashing the button to shut the doors.

Will I ever learn?

A man walking ahead of a woman reaches a door, pulls it open and steps aside for the woman to enter. The woman glances at him curtly and says, “You don’t need to hold the door open because I’m a lady.”

The man replies, “I didn’t, I held it open because I’m a gentleman.”

6 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Manners are something are something that are sadly lacking these days for sure. Whenever I am polite and courteous to someone they look at me like I am green with purple spots. This town makes me want to cry.

11:22 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I hear you...I worked in Washington D.C. and went out for a smoke break with a friend. We went to enter the building again and he held the door open for me. After I entered, a throng of people just started rushing out leaving him standing there holding the door.

I yelled out, "Well jeez John, if they can't say thank you, the least they could do is give you a tip."

One woman heard and said, "Oh, thank you."

Like it was an afterthought.

11:51 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Man, I love that you yelled that out. I hope that it made some of them feel guilty, but somehow I doubt it. Stuff like that just "burns my toast" hehe

12:39 AM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Like you Zombie I use manners as well. I also found it difficult to live in Van sometimes Mel. I found that I would receive weird looks when I was polite. Like I was from Mars. Like the person in your story Zombie I find that I am polite more for myself than others and that there are always some people that appreciate it.

6:28 PM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

I probably could have posted that better cause (i switched between you alot) but I think you both know what I mean.

6:30 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I'm not exactly sure what are you trying to say Slaygirl? :)

I completely understand.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home