Sunday, August 10, 2008

Nickels for Fare Back

Definitely a busy weekend, if not overly interesting. Awoke early yesterday to make sure that I got my bike to the indy shop to prepare for the upcoming trip down to South Carolina. Returning around 2pm and 160 miles later, the bike had new tires and a tune up and she felt good, so good I really had to take the long way home through the twisty roads and inevitably received a mild sunburn for my escapades.

Arriving home, we headed out to the optometrist to get fitted for new glasses and while my choice of frames was truly spectacular, the fitting left something to be desire and I’m currently wearing my old glasses until I can have them refitted.

Ultimately the entire day was just fodder for what I considered the epoch of the day, and I daresay perhaps the week. I’ve been toying with the idea for several years of purchasing a digital SLR camera and after drooling over Mel’s new camera I decided to make the leap and bought the Sony DSLR-350. While the instruction manual is more complex than my college text books in macroeconomics, it’s still relatively easy to use and I couldn’t be happier.

The batteries charged, I headed down the street and into town where the strangest things have been happening. I’m not sure what to make of it, but the county has been purchasing buildings, lots and businesses along the main thoroughfare and tearing them down. The most recent victim, the Greyhound bus terminal down and across the street from my house, and many other business stand vacant to receive a similar fate, each with what is becoming a familiar white sign posted out front, “Property of Prince William County; No Trespassing”.

I believe they’re planning on creating a “historic” district that is pedestrian friendly which shops and café’s. This at least is my hope as they’ve held several town hall meetings to discuss zoning and creating what they are calling pocket communities (which my house is in the center of). I had not heard of the outcome, but I’m excited to see what comes of it.

Now I get to go mow the grass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wait a minute, they're creating a historic district by tearing down all the old buildings? A pedestrian friendly shopping area will be lovely, no question, but perhaps they should choose a different term.

Your planned bike trip sounds fabulous, and there is no question about that. I do hope that we will get to hear all about it.

1:15 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

Well, historic district were my words for lack of a better description. The reason I quoted it was because the building they tore down were of the 70's era vintage and the ones rumored are going to be more appropriate to the towns founding, thus "historic" and not historic :)

The trip should be a lot of fun, some good friends are riding down with me, and there's supposed to be some great roads where we're headed. I'll be sure to share the stories in all their glory...um...yea, that it.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home