Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Where have all the good times gone

Tonight was my turn to pick up the little critters; I watch them playing and the excitement of my daughter to show me new things that she's learned how to do that are seemingly too mundane for me to mention. Tossing a balloon into the air and catching it and doing jumping jacks yelling, “Shikawawa weehoo!” while my son announces happily a new episode of “Speed Racer Next Generation” is on and I have to wonder when I lost the excitement for things.

I'm not talking about the excitement of a new car, or seeing the kids after a long day of work, but a genuine elation at just about everything in life. Now I think I need to mention I'm not one of these moody type of folks that looks at the world through nuclear explosion tainted glasses, quite the contrary, I'm generally in a great mood, but I've definitely lost that excitement of waking to a new dawn, grabbing some sugary cereal and catching a new episode of my favorite cartoon.

It seems I'm not the only one. Is the fun of being a kid simply the innocence that's lost as we age or is it like that coffee we enjoyed so thoroughly at the beginning of the day that becomes common and ordinary and loses its impact because it's no longer special.

We're ordering pepperoni pizza tonight

7 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

I think it's a combination bud. I am going to Playland for the first time ever this coming Sunday, and I'm so excited I am going to barf!!!!!!
Try to hold on to a bit of that innocent wonder of the world....even if it's through the eyes of your little ones ;O)

10:10 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

PS the new digital cam is a Canon SD1100 elph. I got the one with the rechargeable battery pack in it. It is SOOO much fun *boing boing*

10:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Pepperoni pizza! That's awesome, you are so lucky!

Come on, you have to admit that you are pretty excited about that.

It's true though, we lose the excitement for daily things. I guess by the time you have done them 368,476,380 times, something diminishes. A shame.

11:08 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Good deal Mel, have a blast and thanks for the info, I want to check that camera out.

Couldn't agree more Barbara, it is a shame; I do remember waking up as a kid to a brand new day and being excited about it...just don't get the same thrill out of things these days (unless you're Mel :) )

It's probably a combination, but do wish some of that thrill was back.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a way with words. I think that is why children are good medicine, they help you to see things a different way. I'm with Mel, get your kicks where you can. For instance, I went to the circus with my kids recently and spent half the time watching their faces and half watching the events. Priceless.

12:39 PM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

Tom Waits sings "If there's one thing you can't lose, it's that feel"

Excitement is over rated and often leads to disappointment, but that feel . . .

4:04 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I agree Slaygirl, but it's more a source of amusement and satisfaction watching your kids enjoy something than it was when you were the kid doing the enjoying; it's that difference that I question.

And of course, enter JACC with a third possibility. Maybe it's like your body going into shock to prevent you from feeling pain; you don't get the same thrill because of the repeated disappointment.

Maybe I'm just jaded.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home