Friday, October 27, 2006

Work ownz joo

As you know, the boy and I decided to play hooky for most of the day on Wednesday. Perhaps the timing was ill-planned and I failed to realize that we had a major database switchover planned for that night and so I paid for my decadence over the next two days.

Wednesday night we checked and verified that everything was in place and confirmed that all the scheduled jobs to extract data from systems the database was dependent on and the mechanisms for delivering the data were secure and ready to run. Around midnight we were finished rebuilding the database on the new server. We agreed to get back together Thursday morning at 4:30 am to validate that the scheduled extracts ran and all the reports generated for the company executives could be produced on time.

Not everything ran as smoothly as we would have hoped, but considering the extent of the system, it ran better than we had expected.

After working into the wee hours on Thursday, and again waking up early on Thursday, that evening I was more exhausted than I realized when I lied down to watch cartoons with my son. I ended up falling asleep and snoozing for 4 hours, waking up for a couple and then crashing for the rest of the night.

I asked my wife why she didn’t wake me up and she said, “You never sleep that much, I figured you needed it.”

I’m very refreshed.

2 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Your wife is a very smart lady, and sounds quite sweet too. Lets hope you dont have to go through that kind of thing just to get another decent sleep eh?

5:14 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks Mel, she is...then again she has to be to put up with me.

It was like drastic weightloss for the insomniac.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home