Thursday, September 28, 2006

Please excuse my son’s absence

Greetings all, I’m sure everyone has stopped visiting the site because of my recent inactivity, but I assure you, I have a valid excuse…well, maybe not. The past few weeks has been fraught with events that make tabloid journalist drool with unforgiving fervor. Me? Exaggerate? Why I’d never hear of such a thing.

The week we bought the trailer, our house became reminiscent of Europe’s Black Plague with my daughter getting sick with pink eye and strep. Those of you with children can imagine the joy of using antibiotic eye drops on an 18-month child with a fever of 103. Towards the end of my daughter’s bout with the demented sand man, my son came down with some random wonton virus that stole the weekend. Through this, my wife got sick with something or other and thanks to vitamin C supplements I skated the scourge attacking our house. It was all pumpernickel and daisies however; since I was the only healthy one in the family you can imagine my family obligations.

During my wife’s hiatus from her standard fare of motherhood, she was able to focus on more important things…like the lack of a ceiling fan in our bedroom and so the honey-do list grew by another.

Nothing is ever as simple or as difficult as it seems in the beginning and the ceiling fan was no exception. To keep a long story relatively short, I’ll simply summarize the steps to installing a ceiling fan:

  • Choose ceiling fan
  • Remove current light fixture
  • Buy Romex 3 wire electrical wiring (standard 2 wire electrical only supports light, not light and fan from light switch)
  • Pull old wiring out
  • Run new wire through attic and down wall to switch housing
  • Realize insufficient bracing for ceiling fan
  • Buy brace for ceiling fan
  • Realize brace when spanned over 16 inches is no longer sufficient to support ceiling fan (building codes allow for 24inch on center construction for roof trusses)
  • Buy 2x4 and cut to 22 and a half inches
  • Hammer new brace between rafters
  • Attach electrical box
  • Open ceiling fan box and find the hole cut in ceiling is to large for the new fan mount
  • Cut new opening
  • Pull out brace and relocate it to new opening
  • Wire up ceiling fan (one line does NOT do this justice)
  • Hang ceiling fan
  • Try and force all electrical connections into a space a hamster would consider cramped
  • Test ceiling fan
  • Buy heart defibrillator when heart stops because the lights don’t come on
  • Heart begins when wife discovers a little switch at the bottom of switch to turn on lights
  • Balance the blades
  • Mark 4 nights of life lost off of calendar because of ceiling fan and wonder if you could have made do with Egyptian eunuchs fanning you with palm leaves
  • Plan patching of the too big hole in the ceiling
  • Determine what color the bedroom will be painted (since you have to paint the patch, wouldn’t it make sense to paint the whole room?)

Well, it wasn’t that short after all; you can imagine what the non-condensed version looked like…I can.

So now you all can understand the reason for my “vacation” and my apologies. It appears that I’m back…for the time being.

Electrical, carpentry, dry wall…I’m gonna start my own home improvement show…watch for me on HGTV.

10 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Hey man, I'd watch that show! Glad you are back! I've actually been checking your site daily when I do my daily blog reading :) Hope your wife is enjoying the new ceiling fan and that everyone is feeling much better now!!!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger chelene said...

Welcome back! Don't get me started on the ceiling fan, they're fantastic but I hate cleaning them.

11:34 PM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Yaaa! your back. I have been visiting your site daily as well. Sorry to hear about your sick family. I and the kids are generally the ones to get sick and my partner is the one that never gets sick. I have cursed him mentally for NEVER getting sick but realize now that health can be a real burden on the unsick person. I did not mean to laugh at your misery but the ceiling fan incident was halarious (well, i suppose not from your perspective). For some reason I was expecting the words
"Duct tape". I am assuming you are more of the bob villa than the tim the tool man type. I am the later. I generally start stuff and dont finish, though i have stopped this since starting school and my partner was overjoyed because it REALLY gave him less to do. I did feel bad for you about ceiling fan by the end then saw the comment about the hole and paint! I lost it. But then, you know how fond I am of spackle and painting (maniacal grimace and twitch developing in left eye).

12:39 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks Mel, much obliged. The wife still has a nasty cough that I would only wish on someone truly evil that I didn't know, but for the most part we're back on the upbeat side of things.

Chelene...I thought ceiling fans were self cleaning. You just turn them on right, maybe hose 'em down with a garden hose?

Usually I'm the last one to get sick...the little ones bring home the microscopic playthings and want to share with parents. Fortunately in this case, wonders of wonders, I didn't get sick. I can tell you that even with all the extra work...I'd rather not be sick.

You know, funny thing is, I never thought about duct tape and I'm usually the one that says there's nothing duct tape can't fix. I'm generally a perfectionist at the beginning of a project and a let the damn thing fall down at the end of a project.

You are the spackle queen Slaygirl :D

Thanks all, I didn't figure anyone would actually miss me...I appreciate it!

10:02 AM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

I missed you and by the time I reloaded you were gone.

3:33 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Learned that in the Army...amazing what cover and concealment do to avoid speeding projectiles.

I'm just glad ya missed me.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Woohoo!! You've returned!

That totally BITES IT to hear about the zombie family plague! I remember it being scary enough when I was 10 having pink eye, your 18 month-er must have been pretty freaked out! Or too out of it from the fever...maybe both? It sure is gross though, all the ickiness and eye drops and...ew. I hope they're all recovered though. LOL at wonton virus. :P

And what's with the ceiling fan deal? That sounds absurd! You've definitely made me mentally note never to pester my future husband about ceiling fans, what a hassle that turned out to be!

"Just open a window, dammit!"

:P

Glad you're back though, hope things are less fevery and runny nosed by now. :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

oh oh! I fear you've been struck down by the might flu bug :( crap! I hope you and family are feeling better really soon!

2:26 AM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

Tell me you're all as healthy as zombies can be . . .

12:00 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

*sigh* Soon after, I had to travel to Chicago on business and then...yes, I came down with the plague.

Three days of 103 degree fever and I'm just now coming back up to health.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home