Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Burning question for the ages, not 42

It was a harried morning, the kind that you would secretly wish on your roommate that never did the dishes and ate all your crackers. No matter how well I think I have things planned out, no matter how organized or how methodical things are, I invariably miss something, usually nothing catastrophic, but something nonetheless. This morning was no exception and I ran frantically about, making mad-dash calls to my wife and collecting bits and pieces from nooks and crannies around the house; my son was late to his first day back to school.

Returning home, I found myself on unfamiliar ground. Here, without the ever-present kid questions and constant interruptions to let me know what cartoon was airing on TV, my mind began to wander through unfamiliar territory, a creepy landscape that bore no resemblance to anything in recent memory.

I didn’t bother to rein in my consciousness and allowed it to survey the scenery with a new appreciation for the subtleties of the landscape. Drawing assumptions from wells, jumping to conclusions and plucking blades of nonsense, I realized I had nothing. So I folded my introspection into thirds, shoved it in my wallet where pictures normally go and started work.

While beginning the onslaught of emails with the vigor of a barbican pillaging, a little something had caught my eye during the foray into foreign territory and I began to wonder, I assume because of my recent attention to my blog, but when and how does one decide to post a comment in response to someone’s post. Is it a random occurrence or is there rhyme and reason to how one decides to comment?

I can only speak for myself, but I’ve visited an excruciating number of blogs and yet have commented on only a few posts on even fewer blogs. It wasn’t the fact that I wasn’t interested in the post or the author, in fact I’ve not commented many of the blogs on my sidebar, but there was a certain something on the blogs that I did comment on to that intrigued me.

What is the determining factor when publishing a comment to a post?

I really should take up yoga.

8 Comments:

Blogger justacoolcat said...

Dude, apparently today is a deep thoughts day for everyone.

11:54 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I saw that after I posted...must be a cosmic thing. Or Cheerios, one of the two.

12:16 AM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

Maybe it's the yoga popularity. You know they are sending those vibes somewhere.

7:18 PM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Good vibes are good. I did all my big thinky work today in school so blogage postage is not very thinky:)

8:18 PM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Uhm, I mean, I vote Cheerios.

8:18 PM  
Blogger chelene said...

Sometimes I read a post and enjoy it but I have nothing interesting to say. It's really random and doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the writing. There's one blog that I read religiously (Miss Doxie) but I've never commented.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

I agree with Chelene. I think sometimes you just really enjoy a post and don't really have anything interesting or even worthy to contribute to it.

I have blog comment problems too sometimes, because I usually go through everyone's blogs late at night while I'm all comfy and lying down in bed, and leaving a comment actually requires sitting up to type, and sometimes that can be so much easier said than done. :P

5:32 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I can understand that and have to admit that I agree with it. I guess I usually post when I have something witty to say or something to add...usually I think I keep my trap shut.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home