Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My compliments

There was no hope of me missing the alarm this morning. No chance of employment truancy, forcing me to weave a fantastic, yet believable account to explain my absence from the morning’s meetings. No, not this morning, today my departure from the slumber was greeted by the monotonous hum and clanking of large equipment in front of my house.

“About time,” I thought, “finally tearing up that annoying asphalt and loading it into a truck.” My hope of time reversal was being addressed and I was confident the horse and buggy would be delivered to my abode at the city’s earliest convenience.

I knew this to be the case, because I no longer had running water, a further indication that we had reached the pinnacle of human society and the conclusion was made that it wasn’t so great after all (I was however, still confused at their use of heavy equipment for the street removal, but who was I to question such a great decision). I didn’t even mind my inability to exit my house due to the large trench cut across the end of my driveway…after all in our new old world, I wouldn’t need the truck.

In all the excitement, I was barely conscious of the paper cut I received while digging for my outhouse plans.

I almost brought all the workers that were lounging around in my front yard a beer until I realized that they would probably frown upon the means by which the beer was kept cold and would definitely turn me down in disgust, so I merely watched their progress. I wondered if the city would send out a collection truck for the refrigerator.

You can imagine my disappointment towards the end of the day when the trench was filled, new asphalt was laid and I was accosted by the dawning realization this was merely an elaborate hoax concocted by one of my arch nemesi for revenge (I assume nemesi is plural for nemesis). I’m beginning to think it was my wife that perpetrated this ruse, after all, she was absent for the day…work indeed, how convenient.

Even with the crushing defeat I had at the hands of these jokesters, I have to admit that if I couldn’t have a reversal of time; I was satisfied at the craters left in the street by the heavy equipment and the debris left in the overgrown lot across from my house. After all, if you can’t have rutted dirt roads, streets with potholes will just have to do.

I really must write the Prince William County Service Authority a thank you letter for such a fine job. I’m such a glass is half-full type of guy.

10 Comments:

Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! *gaping dumbfoundedly* Did they at least give you notice that your water would be shut off? What exactly was the point of their excavation? Replacing sewer pipes? Water lines? Geez, nice mess they left :(

10:08 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

LOL...no clue at all, and no advanced notice. I wished I had known before certain activities took place.

10:31 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Gawd...if the city of Vancouver did that the people would revolt LOL

10:33 PM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Wow, you really are a glass-half-full kind of guy, I would have been FUMING! I totally gawked at the pictures of the potholes, that's insane!! At that rate, a horse and buggy would be absolutely wonderful! I'd take a step back in time over that any day.

LOL, you just wrote it so well. Way to capture the pure essence of sarcasm, that was perfect. :P

12:19 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Zombie is da KING of scarcastic wit :D !!

1:31 AM  
Blogger zombie said...

They're back today. So far my water hasn't been turned off, but we'll see (I'm so giddy, it's almost like playing the lottery).

I can only hope that the reason they didn't repair the street yesterday is because they plan on repaving the entire thing (eternal optimist).

Thanks Alana, I was pretty irritated and in my younger days I would have been on the phone chewing out some public servant, but I've mellowed out a lot in my old age. I hesitated to write a letter because I wanted to give them the benefit of doubt see how it turned out (that rhymed!).

Thanks Mel, but you give me way too much credit :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

That's is some nice work. You should fill the potholes with nails for added excitement.

5:04 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Oooh, I hadn't thought about that JACC...maybe a couple of spike strips. Do police lend those out?

9:28 PM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

They do if you steal a car.

11:33 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks Sesy...I actually have written a couple of books (actually coauthored), but they weren't entertainment books...they were programming books. Totally different writing styles.

Thanks for the compliment!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home