Monday, August 28, 2006

Back from camping

Good afternoon! Well the camping trip when off without a hitch since we weren’t pulling a trailer. Here’s the Short Attention Span Theater list of events.

  • HOT! 95 degrees with around 85% humidity
  • Great new North Face 2 man tent sets up easily
  • Yellow jackets and bees everywhere (got stung twice)
  • Don’t put citronella candles too close to the fire, they curdle
  • Coleman electric start propane lantern doesn’t work well, still used matches to start
  • Brats will role off the grill into the campfire when they cook
  • Ate tons of grilled brats…no beans, forgot can opener
  • Tent fans are awesome, wish we had 4 more
  • Self-inflating air mattresses…where were you when I was younger
  • Midnight walk to old civil war graveyard, kids don’t like being in graveyards after dark
  • Woke up at 5:30am as coyotes ran through camp howling like frat boys at a panty raid, fortunately all food was locked in the truck so they were just passing through (great feeling knowing coyotes are just outside your nylon tent, park ranger later confirmed there are also bobcats in the area). Kids slept through entire thing
  • First campfire coffee of the morning sucks
  • Somehow all the equipment took up more space after we broke down camp than before

Well, I’m back and found out that apparently I have a leak coming from somewhere…guess I’ll be cutting drywall this weekend.

8 Comments:

Blogger chelene said...

Sounds like you had fun despite a few problems (forgetting the can opener sucks!). I can't believe the kids slept through the coyotes. I'm a heavy sleeper but I would have bolted right up the minute I heard anything with four legs passing through. Sorry about the stings, at least you're not allergic! :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Thanks Chelene, we had a great time and almost hated to come back.

I couldn't believe the kids slept through it either, they were literally right outside the tent and woke me up out of a dead sleep. I wish I had brought the camera with me into the tent...we didn't have the rainfly up so I might have gotten some really good pictures.

2:41 PM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

Sounds like fun, though I'm not a huge fan of camping in heat. Tent fans? I didn't know such a thing existed.

As for the hornets, they are here like mad too. Something about a pure sugar diet and only having a few more days to live that makes them nasty as hell.

2:50 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

I'm an anti-heat fan. Growing up in Colorado and Montana, I have a certain affinity for avoiding hot. The tent fan is just a battery operated fan that actually made the night bearable.

I've actually conconcted an idea for a portable tent air conditioner made out of ice and fans...going to make one and see if it works. I'll have the prototype ready for...umm, winter.

Don't believe the 'if you don't bother them, they won't bother you' hype.

3:00 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Hey Zombie! Glad you're back, and you had a good trip. Stupid hornets/bees tho :( Did you know that putting a wet teabag on the bite takes away the sting? I think it's the tanic acid in the tea. Coyotes freak me out! Ground in my coffee pisses me off....as does a lumpy bed. I am not really one for camping I guess. Maybe if I had a cabin like JACC and the Wifey had when they went away! That looked really cool. I love your fan idea. I hate the heat too. Yuck!

4:51 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

Yea, JACC's cabin idea is awesome, I'm actually looking for something similar over this upcoming holiday.

I'm wierd about bee stings...for me it's just like a needle prick, I feel it when it happens, but there's no swelling or allergic reaction. Just a red dot where it stung. I'm just lucky that way..same with musquito and spider bites.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Wow, that sounds like it was quite the experience! I love camping, but I don't think I could have been paid to camp anywhere where there was bobcats, that would be a little freaky!

That sucks about the bees and getting stung. I have a total fear of bees and wasps. Something that works well, if you crumple up a brown paper bag and hang it around your tent or cabin, they confuse it with an actual cocoon and don't go near it 'cause they're territorial.

And I'll keep the citronella candles/fire suggestion in mind. :P

6:51 PM  
Blogger zombie said...

That's an awesome suggestion Alana! I'd never heard of that before, but guarantee I'll be giving that a shot next time.

The animals don't bother me all that much, we had mountain lions and such roaming the mountains where I grew up, and on my grandparents place, bears were always crossing along the back fence. I was just shocked to hear them howling in my ear.

Did I mention, never store your citronella candles next to the fire :)

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home